Serukis

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan

250 Things You Should Know About Writing

250 Things You Should Know About Writing - Chuck Wendig I bought this little gem of a book for 77p on my Kindle, and wasn't really expecting much. Let's face it, books are normally that cheap for a reason, right?

Well, I was proved wrong.

This isn't a particularly long book (Amazon tells me it is 96 pages), but there is a lot of information packed in here. As far as writing advice goes, it's no nonsense, butt-kicking advice that makes you want to just go out there (metaphorically) and write. Chuck Wendig reminds me why I wanted to become a writer in the first place - it's a hell of a lot of fun! Hard work, but fun! He emphasises that the main goal of the first draft is just to write, and then the hard work of revising and polishing comes later (kind of like the spirit of NaNoWriMo).

Aside from the motivational writing advice, there were other reasons that I enjoyed this book. Firstly, Wendig's style is just so weird. The metaphor he uses for flinging out a first draft and revising later is the image of the Greek god Hephaestus vomiting up a lump of molten metal (first draft) and then molding it into a sword or similar (the revisions). Yes, really. It made me smile on a lot of occasions, because some of the imagery he comes out with is so bizarre and out there it makes you read it twice. I wonder if his fiction is the same. o.o

There is a lot of swearing in this book, but it didn't bother me. It just kind of sounded like his natural voice (not sure what that says about him as a person, but hey XD). I know that's a major turn off for some readers, however, which is why I mention it.

One of the only reasons why this book lost a star is that, after a time, Wendig's style starts to grate. Perhaps that can be remedied with not reading it all in one sitting, but as it's such a short book, perhaps not. The other reason is that some of the information is repeated, but, as the book is a collection of blog posts (and some of the things he says in the book reveals that), that is perhaps to be expected. Once again, this could perhaps be remedied by not readint it all in one sitting.

All in all, with all its quirks, butt-kicking action and no nonsense advice, this is one of the most motivational writing advice books I've read so far. It makes me want to sit down and just get the hell on with writing a novel!