Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
The War of the Worlds (Penguin Classics) - H.G. Wells I had to read this book for a science fiction module at university and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I spent most of the day curled up in bed (it was cold), reading it. I've heard of the plot before and alien invasion is not normally a plot that excites me in a book.

However, from the first chapter I found myself being drawn in by the trials and tribulations of Mr Unknown Protagonist. He was a bit of a moron at times (and extraordinarily lucky), but I found myself rooting for him against the Martians. I actually found myself feeling fearful at certain points in the book, even though the past tense first person narration assured me he would be all right.

The chapters from the point of view of the narrator's brother, though necessary to understand the scope of the destruction, detracted from my enjoyment of the story. I didn't care about the narrator's brother like I did the narrator, and kept finding myself wanting to skip past these bits to get back to his first person account.

Overall, however, I really enjoyed The War of the Worlds. It's a science fiction classic, and rightly so. :)