Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Blue Exorcist, Vol. 4 - Kazue Kato Rin Okumura is the illegitimate son of Satan, but he and his twin brother, Yukio, have been raised by Father Fujimoto, a famous exorcist. Once he discovers the truth, Rin swears to defeat Satan by entering the famous True Cross Academy and becoming an exorcist himself. The only trouble is, he has to keep his demon heritage a secret or he stands a good chance of being destroyed by the very people he wants to join.

It's summer and Rin and his classmates are taken on a summer training camp. To complete the tasks and earn a coveted place to be taken on a mission, Rin must learn to rely on his friends. But things aren't completely what they seem.

This volume was fast paced and emotional, though it had its humorous moments too. Rin certainly grew a lot in this volume and realises the true implications of being Satan's son. It's a little bit heartbreaking, actually. Poor Rin.

The problems I've had before with Kazue Kato's action scenes seem to have been rectified this volume. I found them easy to follow and exciting, rather than just feeling a bit confused. Maybe it's because I was still getting used to reading manga again, or something, but it definitely felt better this volume.

I also liked the little bit of back story we got between Yukio and Shura. It's nice when an author takes the time to develop side characters - it's not all about Rin, even though he is the protagonist.

I recommend this to anyone who likes fast-paced, action-orientated manga with demons and a paranormal twist. :)