Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Blue Exorcist, Vol. 5 - Kazue Kato Rin Okumura is the illegitimate son of Satan, but he and his twin brother, Yukio, have been raised by Father Fujimoto, a famous exorcist. Once he discovers the truth, Rin swears to defeat Satan by entering the famous True Cross Academy and becoming an exorcist himself. The only trouble is, he has to keep his demon heritage a secret or he stands a good chance of being destroyed by the very people he wants to join.

In this volume, a story arc involving the eyes of the Impure King begins. In the late Edo period, the Impure King killed thousands of people. The Knights of the True Cross have kept its left eye sealed away on academy grounds, but now it's been stolen. Along with other exorcists, Rin and his classmates travel to Kyoto to stop the theft of the right eye, whilst they also try to accept the knowledge that Rin is the son of Satan.

I really enjoyed this volume. Not only was it the start of what promises to be quite an interesting story arc, it delved into the backstory of Suguro, Konekomaru and Shima. Suguro (Bon =D) has always been an interesting character to me, so it was interesting to travel to his home in Kyoto and to explore his childhood.

I also enjoyed seeing how everyone reacted differently to Rin now that his secret is out. No two characters reacted the same, which really displayed their unique personalities. I gained a new respect for Izumo, but Shiemi was a little irritating in this volume.

However, a lot of characters (from Suguro, Konekomaru and Shima's families) were also introduced in this volume, and I found it was hard to keep track of who was who. Not sure what it is about this manga - Samurai Deeper Kyo has loads of characters and I never had this problem. :/

That aside, I'm looking forward to seeing how this story arc develops. It looks as though it will be interesting!

As usual, I recommend this manga to anyone who enjoys action-packed and paranormal stories.