Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Blue Exorcist, Vol. 6 - Kazue Kato Rin Okumura is the illegitimate son of Satan, but he and his twin brother, Yukio, have been raised by Father Fujimoto, a famous exorcist. Once he discovers the truth, Rin swears to defeat Satan by entering the famous True Cross Academy and becoming an exorcist himself. The only trouble is, he has to keep his demon heritage a secret or he stands a good chance of being destroyed by the very people he wants to join.

This volume is my favourite of the volumes so far. The story arc with the eyes of the Impure King continues and Rin continues the training to control his blue flame.

I felt really sorry for Rin in this volume as, once again, he has to deal with the harsh realities of being the son of Satan. He grew as a character over the course of the book, and I actually felt proud of him when he managed to control his blue flame for the first time. He still has a long way to go, but I believe he can get there! :)

However, this volume focused a lot on the side characters, particularly Suguro, Konekomaru and Shima. It was great to see more of their unique personalities, especially in the case of Konekomaru, who has been overshadowed by the other two up until now. He has a lot more depth to his character than has been shown previously, and I enjoyed learning that.

The theme of friendship is tested in this volume, in particular with regards to the relationship between Rin and Konekomaru. This theme has been strong throughout the series, but I think this volume handled it particularly well. I'm hoping that friendship can triumph over the stigma Rin faces for being the son of Satan, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Overall, I'm looking forward to seeing how this story arc is concluded!

I recommend this manga to anyone who enjoys action-orientated stories with a paranormal twist. :)