Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Black Bird, Vol. 4 - Kanoko Sakurakouji 'Misao is the bride of prophecy whose blood gives power to the demon who claims her. But most demons want to keep her power for themselves - by eating her! Now Misao is just trying to stay alive...'

In this volume, we meet Kyo's best friend, Tadanobu, who is also the heir to the Kitsune clan. Tadanobu doesn't want Misao, but he must try to claim her to protect the life of his human girlfriend and help his clan to prosper. Can Misao stop them before these two best friends fight to the death?

I enjoyed this volume, but not as much as I enjoyed volumes two and three for some reason (hence only four stars). Despite there being only one plot thread to follow (that of Tadanobu), it felt strangely disjointed to me, like it jumped all over the place.

I also want to look into the back stories of the Daitengu more, now, rather than focusing on Kyo and Misao's relationship all the time. Every time Misao and Kyo sort out a problem, a new one springs up to block their path to happiness together. When they're together, they're either cute or bordering on downright smutty. I'd like to know more about some of the side characters, because they all seem rather interesting! Otherwise the story's just going to end up being 'a new demon appears, wanting Misao, but Kyo defeats him' ad infinitum. And I'd hate to see a story with such promise go down that path.

Also, Kensuke!! I was disappointed that he left in the first chapter and didn't come back. I hope he makes another appearance because he's adorable!!

As usual, though, the artwork is beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Hoping this series doesn't spiral into stagnation, because it has the potential to become one of my favourites.

So yes, I loved it, but not as much as previous volumes. I recommend it if you love sparkles and beautiful men! :)