Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Black Bird, Vol. 5 - Kanoko Sakurakoji 'Misao is the bride of prophecy whose blood gives power to the demon who claims her. But most demons want to keep her power for themselves - by eating her! Now Misao is just trying to stay alive...'

In this volume, Misao headed to Kyo's village in order to be introduced to his clan. Kyo's grandfather, the clan's patriarch, is impatient for Kyo to produce an heir but Kyo is worried about what will happen to Misao if they consumate their love. Also, we got to delve into Sagami's character, which is what I hoped for! Yay! :D

There wasn't a whole lot of action in this volume. It kind of felt like the build up to something dramatic, which was only exacerbated by the cliffhanger at the end. I need to know what happens, ah! (Thankfully I have the next volumes ready to read. :)) Unfortunately, this did mean that the volume was a little slow, but it did make a nice change from demons attacking Misao all the time!

I said in my review for volume four that I would love a little more insight into the characters of the Eight Daitengu, and I got my wish! Sagami has always been a bit of a mysterious character, so it was great to see a bit of what makes him tick. I loved meeting his wife, too - it was like seeing a whole other side of Sagami, seeing them together.

The plot of this volume felt as though it was split into two halfs. There was a Christmas/New Year episode for the first half of the colume, where Kyo and Misao struggled with their desire for each other and the possible consequences, and Misao struggled with the fact Kyo was hiding things from her. This was mainly told from Sagami's point of view. Then there was the other half of the volume which focused on introducing Misao to the idea of going to Kyo's village and seeing the village itself, as well as setting up the drama for the next volume. It felt a little disjointed because of this, but not as much as the prevous volume.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next! :)