Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Black Bird, Vol. 6 - Kanoko Sakurakouji 'Misao is the bride of prophecy whose blood gives power to the demon who claims her. But most demons want to keep her power for themselves - by eating her! Now Misao is just trying to stay alive...'

This volume was kind of the second half of the story arc begun in volume five. As well as that, it explores the mind and childhood of Sojo/Sho a little, which is really interesting.

Unlike the last volume, there was plenty of action (though, not the bloody, fighting kind). I was really satisfied in the way that the story arc was wound up AND in the way Misao wasn't all pathetic and actually stood up for herself. For a moment, she was even a little bit badass, which makes me happy. Hopefully this will continue into later volumes. :)

I loved getting an insight into Sho's character. It made me feel sorry for him and, at one point, I even got a little bit tearful. He's not really your ordinary villain, where his actions are only evil - there are shades of grey to him that I wasn't expecting.

The tengu village is really interesting - I hope that we get to see more of it (and Ayame too)! I'm pretty sure the storyline will involve going back there, since, you know, it's Kyo's birthplace and all and it's where he'll take Misao if/when they marry.

There wasn't much interaction between Kyo and Misao this volume, but what was there was really sweet. You can tell Kyo truly cares about her (and I think Sho does too, in his own weird way).

I also really enjoyed the bonus pages this volume, too. I don't know why. :) Sakurakoji seems like a really sweet lady. :)

Once again, this volume ended on a cliffhanger, but it was a cliffhanger that begins a new story arc. Dun dun duun. The new story arc looks as though it'll be quite interesting, but we'll see. :D