Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Black Bird, Vol. 9 - Kanoko Sakurakoji 'Misao is the bride of prophecy whose blood gives power to the demon who claims her. But most demons want to keep her power for themselves - by eating her! Now Misao is just trying to stay alive...'

In the aftermath of the events of last volume, Kyo's attitude towards Misao seems to have change. She is worried his feelings for her may have changed. This volume also contains the introduction of Kyo's father, but not much is known about him yet. As well, there are fears of a traitor in their midst! :o

It was interesting to see how much Kyo and Misao's relationship has changed in the aftermath of last volume, and also the wider consequences of it. We also got another reminder about the nature of demons, and about how most of them just view Misao as a source of nourishment. It really added to the tension in places, but there were scenes of the volume that felt rather slow.

Kyo's dad is also an interesting character, especially as they don't seem to get on. I hope to find out more about him in the next volume. I also enjoyed the rumblings of the Tengu clan and the little glimpse we got into demon politics. :)

Raikoh's little cameo in this volume seemed a bit short and random, so I'm not really sure what that was about. :/ I kind of get it plot-wise, but it felt kind of forced and contrived.

I loved the bonus manga at the end, which focused on the character of Jiro and especially his relationship with his brother, Taro. I would give the bonus back-story five stars. It made me tear up in places, and I decided that I really loved Jiro after it. I hope that Sakurakoji does more character back-stories! :)

This was a good volume, depsite the fact it jumped around a bit and was quite slow in places. Looking forward to the next one. :)