Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Mockingjay  - Suzanne  Collins The rebellion has truly begun, and Katniss's part has been chosen for her. The rebels want to use her as a pawn to overthrow the Capitol, but will swallow her pride to play the part, or will she throw the future of the rebellion into jeopardy?

After the amazing second book, this finale was a bit of a disappointment. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, I just didn't enjoy it as much as Catching Fire. I can't really place my finger on it, but it just felt as though something was lacking.

I didn't find the characters from District 13 to be particularly well-developed (aside from perhaps one or two), and I just could not get myself really invested in the story. Dare I say it, sometimes it felt as though Suzanne Collins had written herself to a point where the rebellion had to happen, and then kind of floundered about for plot until the inevitable final confrontation. At least, that was sometimes.

The latter half of the book, however, seemed to pick up (ie when Katniss had left District 13). I'm not sure why I just didn't connect with the scenes set there. Maybe it's just me. :/

One thing I really liked about this book was the almost understated ending. Katniss was left out of things quite a bit, and didn't really do anything important by herself (aside from shooting Coin at the end). I know from reading other reviews that this was something others didn't like, but you know, I found it quite realistic. After all, she can't do everything on her own, and she's been manipulated and used as a pawn from day one so... why should the end be any different? There was a sense of futility to it, in a way.

Speaking of futility, the fact that the rebels were mooting another Hunger Games at the end, with Capitol children showed a bleak, cyclical view of the future. Nothing changed, did it?

There were heavy losses in this book, including a couple I never expected. The worst part was that there was no time to mourn. FINNICK WHYYY?! I really liked this aspect of the book, though. Senseless, brutal and devastating deaths, with none of the dramatic death scenes we are used to when it comes to main characters. It was just... realistic. And more effective for it. My heart still hurts thinking about it.

Which brings me to hijacking. Holy hell, those scenes with Peeta and Katniss were some of the most heartwrenching I've ever read. God, I cried, and I'm not even a great Peeta fan. (In fact, I'm fond of neither Peeta nor Gale, for differing reasons. Gale's a cold bastard and Peeta's too perfect.) I CRIED SO MUCH. I actually felt SORRY for Katniss (a rare occurance, believe me).

Peeta and Gale. Well, the love triangle didn't really end how I thought it was going to. Katniss didn't really even have to choose. I wasn't sure whether to be disappointed or relieved that it just fizzled out. Romance was never a big focus of the books, after all!

The epilogue. Let's talk about the epilogue. For one, I was surprised that Katniss had children. Such a strange thought. Haha. I loved the last line though, and I really did like the whole feeling of the epilogue. It wasn't too cheesy, which these things can often be!

All in all, this was quite a disappointing read after the brilliance of Catching Fire, but it was still worth finishing the series.