Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Black Bird, Vol. 15 - Kanoko Sakurakouji 'Misao is the bride of prophecy whose blood gives power to the demon who claims her. But most demons want to keep her power for themselves - by eating her! Now Misao is just trying to stay alive...'

A strange power is growing within Misao, and she is starting to become frightened. Is this a consequence of being the Senka Maiden, or is there something else going on...?

After a lingering sense of mystery at the beginning of the volume, it is discovered that Misao is pregnant. Despite the absolute excitement I felt at this revelation, I felt that it was handled a little abruptly. For one thing, I would have liked to see a pregnancy test, but I'm willing to believe that, as a demon, Kyo can sense these things. I mean, after the possibility was suggested to him, perhaps it was relatively simple for him to confirm it. I still would have liked to see them seek concrete proof, however. Also, her parents handled the news much too well, and that ruined some of the tension for the idea of them discovering Kyo is a demon in a later volume. Will they handle that news just as calmly?

Speaking of revelations, MAJOR cliffhanger alert. GAH. I should just be used to this by now with this series, shouldn't I? I approve of how they discovered the end of the Senka Record, and at the moment there seems as if there is NOTHING THEY CAN DO. Talk about dramatic. I want to know what happens next!! AND THE NEXT VOLUME DOESN'T COME OUT UNTIL JUUUUNE. /sobs dramatically

That aside, despite a couple of dramatic (I'm using that word too much) revelations, this felt like a bit of a filler volume. We got to see a lot more of Kyo and Misao's relationship, and a touch of sweetness to Kyo's personality. I enjoyed being able to see more of them as a couple without there being the threat of immediate danger. It was kind of relaxing, but due to the conclusion of the volume, I feel as though it was the calm before the storm.

I wish there had been more of the Daitengu in this volume, but I see the need to focus on our lovely main couple at such a crucial stage in the story.

There was actually a typo in my copy. 'I'm having another publish booked' does not make sense in English... perhaps Misao's father meant 'book published'...? :P

The art in this volume was lovely, as usual. There was a particularly nice double page spread of Kyo, Misao and some fireworks. I'd love that as a poster. <3

All in all, this was another great volume in the series and I'm really looking forward to the next one. :)