Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 6 - Bisco Hatori Having broken a priceless vase, Haruhi Fujioka is in debt to the host club, and this romantic comedy series follows her as she tries to pay it back.

This volume is one where we get some serious character development for Tamaki and Kyoya, especially in regards to their family life. It follows the story of the school fetival, both the preparation for it and the festival itself, with the exception of the final chapter. We get to meet Kyoya's father, who is a total dick, and his sister, who reminds me of Tamaki a little. We also get to meet Tamaki's father and his grandmother, and learn his tragic backstory. It makes me admire Tamaki more, because he's so happy and smiley despite everything.

Oh, and we got to meet Hikaru and Kaoru's parents too! I love their mum! :)

There is a very weird scene where Tamaki's father says it's a 'pleasure to see him cry', which is at total odds with his character otherwise. I don't understand it. Unless he means his tendency to play little jokes on Tamaki, but it seems too sinister to be something innocent like that. Bizarre.

The other chapter, where the host club are trying to recreate the vice-principal's long-forgotten soup, is rather random. But that's okay. It was enjoyable.

All in all, hooray for character development!