Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
A Guy's Secret Guide to Fifty Shades of Grey - Tom M. Paolangeli This is basically what it says in the title - a guy's guide to Fifty Shades of Grey.

Having finished Fifty Shades of Grey sometime last year, and neither hating it nor loving it, I've decided the time has come to read the other books in the trilogy. I'm not sure whether I'm curious about the plot or whether or not the writing gets better. Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to read a little summary of the first book, and my girlfriend had picked up this on her Kindle, so I thought I'd read it.

Firstly, this is very short. It took me all of fifteen minutes to get through the whole thing. I'm not sure if it's value for money, but I guess that depends on how funny you find it.

For me, I found some of it amusing, and some of it not so amusing.

I enjoyed the author's voice a lot. It seemed to me as he was flicking through James's novel with some sort of baffled disbelief at what he was reading. Though he did miss out the tampon scene. Perhaps his poor brain just could not compute that. I just had this image throughout the whole thing of this guy reading Fifty Shades and just looking more and more perplexed by the page.

I also enjoyed the chapter titles. I think they are very apt!

I admit, I didn't find all of it funny, but perhaps that's just because it's been so long since I actually read the book it was talking about. None of the content was unfunny exactly, it just wasn't as hilarious as some other reviewers have made it out to be.

Actually, the funniest bits for me were Paolangeli's comments on Ana's inner goddess. I also enjoyed the premise of kind of a 'how to' book for men trying to get laid, though I'm hoping no guy actually takes this seriously. If you try to act like Christian Grey, you're probably heading for a prison sentence. *coughstalkercough*

Overall, this was a good little plot summary of Fifty Shades of Grey, with some funny moments and a great authorial voice. If you want to see what all the fuss is (was?) about, but don't actually want to read the book, give this a try.