Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) - Rick Riordan The Greek ship is coming to Camp Jupiter. Annabeth is worried about her reunion with her boyfriend, Percy Jackson, but she also has other, more sinister worries. She carries a gift from her mother, which was bestowed upon her with the words: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me.

Firstly, WHAT WAS WITH THAT ENDING?! GAH! WHY?! WHAT?! I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER?! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME, RICK?!

*lets out a breath* Calm. I'm calm.

Now that's out of the way, I think that Rick Riordan has really stepped up his game with this book. Everything is starting to come together, and the dangers are mounting. It turns this book into a high velocity read with hardly any breathing room (and the infrequent, quiet scenes are amazing and full of emotion). The scene with Annabeth and Percy and the bay doors, for example, or Hazel and Leo and Hazel's past. I don't normally like books that leap from one adventure to another, as I said in my review of The Lightning Thief, but Rick Riordan makes it work. These are not ordinary kids. They are both dangerous and in danger.

Keeping track of a cast of seven was well-handled, too. Riordan chose four of the seven to tell the story through, and made sure the other three still had some starring roles. I was hoping for Jason to have a point of view (mainly because I wanted to see what he thought of Percy), but alas. Hopefully that will change in the next book. I'm actually kind of rooting for Nico to have a point of view, but he's not one of the seven so that's probably a long shot.

I also enjoy the fact that Riordan can have romantic subplots going on without them taking over the whole of the story. The relationships in the series feel very natural and real. I hope that will continue.

BUT THAT ENDING, WHY?!

I was glad finally to meet Hercules/Heracles, too. He's been mentioned enough times. I also love when heroes turn out to be disappointing! Ha!

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, and I am DISTRAUGHT that I have to wait until October for the next one. :(