Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
The Sea of Monsters  - Rick Riordan This is the second installment in the Percy Jackson series, and I was in no way disappointed.

In this one, Percy needs to find the Golden Fleece and save his best friend, Grover, from the Cyclops Polyphemus.

I enjoyed this book a little more than the first one as it seemed as though Percy struggled a lot more when facing monsters. He didn't win as easily as he did in the first book, and someone almost always came to help him. This made him much less of a Gary Stu, which I was grateful for.

Also, we saw some flaws in his character (and I'm not talking about dyslexia and ADHD). He was ashamed of Tyson, and often thought himself better than him. He realised the error of his ways by the end of the novel, but it was actually quite an unpleasant facet of his character and I thought it was handled really well.

Being a big fan of The Odyssey, I loved all the bits with Polyphemus. And, as usual, I loved all the references to Greek myths and echoes of heroes that have come before. For example, I loved the fact Percy clung to the underbelly of a sheep to get in the cave.

I also enjoyed the character development of Clarisse, and I hope more comes of it. We shall see, I guess.

And I loved Hermes! Just putting that out there.

There was nothing inherently wrong with this book, but it wasn't quite five star material for me. Nevertheless, it was a great, action-packed read with humour and adventure, and a great sequel to the first book.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest (especially now I've persuaded my little sister to buy the rest of Rick Riordan's novels. Mwahaha.)!