Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green Let's just get this out of the way. THIS BOOK BROKE MY TINY LITTLE HEART. ;A;

This book has been reviewed and quoted to death, so much so that I was worried it was going to be completely over-rated. Thankfully not. However, there's not much I can say about this book that hasn't already been said by people more eloquent than myself, but I'll try.

Hazel is sixteen, and she's terminal. Despite her wishes not to become a grenade - a ticking timebomb of heartbreak - she falls in love, and finds her very own brand of 'always'. Okay?

Firstly, I love that John Green spells 'okay' like 'okay', because that's how I've always spelled it. I think it looks much nicer than OK.

But you know, there's a lot of other things to say about this book than just commending John Green's spelling.

A lot of criticism has been levelled at this book for the way the teenagers in the novel talk, but you know, I kind of like it. Hazel in particular is very well-read, so I can believe that she would talk like that. She's had a lot of time to lie around and think up these 'deep' and slightly pretentious metaphors and sayings, after all. As for Augustus and his cigarette metaphor? Well, it makes him seem like a bit of pretentious douchebag at first, but I've known boys I can imagine saying something exactly like that. So I don't agree with the criticism that the dialogue is 'unrealistic' and not normal for teenagers. What is 'normal' anyway?

I admit, when I picked this book up, I had preconcieved ideas about how it was going to end. And John Green COMPLETELY BLINDSIDED ME, THE BASTARD. (In a loving way. Sort of.) I think that was really clever, if laced with emotional blackmail. Mostly just clever.

I also really loved the fact that Hazel's hero was so disappointing. Not many authors would have the balls to pull that off. Just saying.

And also, I love that it wasn't a cliche 'cancer book'. The kids in this are not paragons of virtue, but 'real' teenagers (albeit well spoken, well-read teenagers).

In conclusion, I really enjoyed this book, despite the fact it crushed my soul. I'd like to read more by John Green, I think. :)