Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Please Don’t Take My Baby - Cathy Glass I received this early! Yay!

Jade, 17, is pregnant, homeless and alone when she’s brought to live with Cathy. Jade is desperate to keep her baby, but little more than a child herself, she struggles with the responsibilities her daughter brings.

Cathy Glass doesn't normally foster teenagers, let alone pregnant ones, but she finds herself unable to refuse bringing Jade into her home. Raising a teenager is quite different from anything Cathy has dealt with so far, and you can really see this from what she rights. She wonders frequently if she's doing the right thing, or if she could have done things differently, which makes a dramatic change from the confident Cathy of other books.

Something I thought was interesting about this book was the portrayal of Tyler, Jade's partner. He seriously broke the stereotype of teen dad and, even though this is a true story, I applaud Cathy for bringing this to light.

I found Jade rather unlikeable for most of the book (hence the four stars), which was interesting. Possibly because I remember being seventeen and was rather appalled by her behaviour. However, by the end of the book, I admired her for having the strength to try to change. (And the update on Cathy's website made me extremely happy. Make sure you check it out once you've read the book! :))

I cried a couple of times reading this. There was one chapter that was particularly heartbreaking, but I won't spoil it.

There were a few typos in this one, but not enough to really hinder enjoyment (though enjoyment is the wrong word).

Great job, Cathy Glass. Keep doing what you do and I'll keep reading. :)