Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
A Baby’s Cry - Cathy Glass When Cathy is first asked to foster one-day old Harrison her only concern is if she will remember how to look after a baby. But upon collecting Harrison from the hospital, Cathy realises she has more to worry than she thought when she discovers that his background is shrouded in secrecy.

For some reason, this didn't grip me as much as Cathy Glass's previous books have done. I felt for baby Harrison, and Cathy, and Harrison's birth mother, but I felt kind of detached. One of the strong points of Cathy's books is how she deals with the children that come into her life, and it just was not the same when that child was a baby and not able to interact with Cathy in the same way. Maybe that's just me, though.

As others have said, it was a bit too over-descriptive in places - the bit about the loft really stuck in my mind as well! And then, the worst sin (in my opinion) was spelling 'losing' and 'loosing'. ARRRRGH! D:

That said, I don't read Cathy Glass for brilliant prose or sparkling turns of phrase. I read it for the human stories. The story of Harrison and his mother was both heartwarming and heartbreaking, and I actually cried a couple of times (particularly towards the end). This, more than her other books, touches on the hardship that is felt by the foster family when a child leaves them, and it hit close to home for me. I have a little brother around the same age as Harrison was when he left the family, so it is very easy for me to imagine Cathy's pain.

Overall, whilst this isn't Cathy Glass's best book, it's still worth a read. :)