Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan
Absolute Boyfriend (Zettai Kareshi) tom I - Yū Watase Fed up with rejection, heart-broken Riiko signs up for a free trial of the Nightly Lover 'figure'. The next day, a cute naked guy is delievered to her apartment. Riiko finally has a boyfriend - one who will cost her a million dollars if she fails to return him on time.

So, I love Yuu Watase. She's my favourite manga-ka, and this series is no exception. If you're looking for something with the intricacy of Fushigi Yuugi, though, you're looking in the wrong place. The plot of Absolute Boyfriend is ridiculous and fluffy with, admittedly, a few darker moments. It's also pretty predictable. But, you know, it's silly and fun and exactly the sort of thing I felt like reading right now in amongst much more serious text books on gender theory.

Riiko, as a main character, is pretty annoying. She's obsessed with finding a boyfriend, and worried about how big her breasts are and things like that. Which is probably much more annoying to me than it was the first time I read this because of the gender theory text book thing. I love Night, on the other hand; he's sweet, naive and only wants the best for Riiko. I also like Soshi, despite his sharp words. You can tell he really cares about Riiko too.

This volume sets up the rest of the series, so it's not the most interesting story-wise. It has a lot to set up, so it feels a little rushed in places. However, there is a lot of the comic relief which has made Yuu Watase one of my favourites, so it's never dull. I especially liked the thinly veiled sex jokes, especially a couple that I completely missed when I read this before. Night's 'gentle touch', anyone? Plus, there's good-looking guys to ogle! ;)

Overall, this is a solid start to what promises to be a fun, silly manga with a serious edge.