Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan

Spellhorn (Essential Modern Classics)

Spellhorn. Berlie Doherty - Berlie Doherty I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't get into it.

The Wild One's way of speaking mostly annoyed me, though sometimes I found their terms endearing. Like heartsad and heartglad. But, on the whole, it was like Laura was with a large group of small children. Who will happily burn houses.

Which was another thing that annoyed me. These Wild One's, for most of the book, are portrayed as gentle and nature loving, and everyone seems to forget that, at the beginning, they burnt down numerous houses to bring the unicorn out. I found that weird. :/

In essence, the story is beautiful: a blind girl befriending a unicorn and being taken to a Wilderness where she can see. But there was something unsatisfying about the ending. I expected there to be more of it, more of the aftermath.

And Laura's parents were unrealistic. They ran around panicking the night Laura vanished, but, after that, they simply seemed to give up. It was bizarre.

I don't know. Maybe I'm too old to be reading this book for the first time, but it just didn't resonate with me.