Serukis

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan

Boots

Boots - Angel Martinez Willem loses his job, lover and apartment in quick succession, so imagine his disappointment when the only thing his father leaves him in his will is the old brewery cat. But this particular cat can talk, and soon Willem finds that his fortunes will change forever.

Boots is a retelling of the old puss in boots fairytale, and, let me just say, it is one of the most adorable books I've ever read! <3

It is a very character driven story, as Willem and Puss/Kasha tread along the well-known plot of the fairytale (with a twist :)). I felt very close to their characters, especially Kasha. Kasha is a, well, kasha. He has been banished to earth in order to help humans. He enters their service when they give him boots, and then is relieved from service once they take the boots away. Most of the time he's in the form of a cat, but he can turn into a human too (oddly, with penile spines and a rough tongue - sort of a leftover from being a cat, haha). He's quite sarcastic and quick-witted, but there is a much more vulnerable and heartbroken side to him that makes you just want to scoop him up and protect him (and I'm allergic to cats!). Willem on the other hand, is tall, strong and dependable, though he really does have a rather impressive temper. However, despite this temper, Willem is gentle and protective and I love him and Pasha together.

With any other book, I'd get annoyed at the all-too-perfect and convenient ending, but, as it's based on a fairytale, I don't mind over much. It suits the fairytale feel of the story. :) If you don't like happily ever afters, however, Boots has one, so be warned!

Something strange about this story, actually. Often I found myself thinking that it was set in the past, even though there was mention of Antonio Banderas and cars. This usually would bother me, but in Boots it didn't really. I guess, again, I'll contribute it to the fairytale feel and the kind of dream-like quality the whole text has.

Boots isn't really that long - it's about a hundred or so pages - but I think that this is just about the right length. Any more, and Kasha and Willem's story would have been stretched out too far, which would have been detrimental to the story as a whole.

I loved how humorous and quirky the story was, as well. I loved the fact that the ogre was a lawyer and an investment banker (as well as, you know, an ogre). I also love the fact that his initials were I M Ogre (esq.). Little things like that just add a whole new level to the book. I also loved the interactions between Willem and Kasha - they were filled with wit and humour as well, and I found myself laughing and quoting bits to my (long suffering) fiancee (even though she's already read the book). :)

And, of course, it wouldn't be a review of erotica if I didn't mention the sex scenes. I found myself much more interested and invested in the sex scenes that I usually get, and they were both kinky and steamy to boot. I'm not sure if it was Willem's commanding bedroom presence, Kasha's adorableness or something else entirely, but I loved them.I even found myself admiring the metaphors that ran through the sex scenes, especially the one based on a storm. I'm a strange person admiring language in a sex scene, I know. Dont' judge me, hahaha.

If you enjoy fairytales, happy endings and hot, sweet man-love, you'll enjoy Boots. It's such a sweet, fulfilling story. <3