Serukis

Emy's Book Blog

Kushiel's Dart
Jacqueline Carey
Victoria Flanagan

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2)

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades #2) - E.L. James Fifty Shades Darker continues where Fifty Shades of Grey leaves off. Between crazy ex-subs, Mrs Robinson and her new boss, Ana may be in way over her head.

Well, at least this one attempted a plot, I suppose. Multiple plots in fact. Crazy ex sub who somehow manages to get her hands on a gun? Check. Christian's ex-Domme turned business partner? Check. Crazy boss who wants to get in Ana's pants? Check.

Let's start with Ana's boss. With a name like Jack Hyde (hurr hurr), he couldn't really be anything but a villain. And, to be honest, when his attempts at having his way with Ana failed, E L James should have left it at that. But no! He sabotages Christian's helicopter and now is out for REVENGE! Dun dun duuuuun. I literally laughed at the end of Fifty Shades Darker - seriously? Is this seriously happening? Damn, I'm going to need a break before I attempt book three. It seems it's going to be full of melodrama.

And then there's Leila, one of Christian's ex-subs. Personally, I found her too over-the-top crazy. She evidently needs a lot of help and then Ana's reaction is automatic jealousy? What the hell, Ana? Jealousy should probably not be your over-riding emotion there. Though why Christian felt it appropriate to give the girl a bath, I don't know.

And then (it seems like a never-ending list), there's Elena Lincoln, not-so-fondly referred to as Mrs Robinson. Weirdly, despite the fact I majorly disapprove of her and Christian's relaltionship when he was fifteen, for most of the book she actually seemed like a reasonable character. I thought the least Ana could do was talk to her, and that both her and Christian were being unreasonable about the whole thing. Then, out of nowhere, she turns into a crazy psycho-bitch and it turns out ANA WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG. *rolls eyes* What. The. Fuck.

Not to mention this book takes place in the course of little over a week and Ana and Christian go from being split up to being engaged to be married. This has got to be the most insane, melodramatic week EVER. Plus, was it just me who felt that Ana and Christian's relationship was extremely rushed? They barely know each other. I foresee much drama in book three.

Also, the sex scenes were dull and repetitive. So much so that I was relieved when James faded to black on a few of them. Maybe she got bored too. On top of that, Ana referring to 'down there' makes her sound like a prepubescent girl. Call it what it is, damn it.

The worst offence, in my view, wasn't any of the above, however. It was this line: "Lover's don't need safewords." What the hell are you on, Grey?! If you're going to do any type of 'kinky fuckery', as you put it, a safeword is a MUST. A MUST. *clutches face and rolls around on the floor* Jesus Christ, this line made me boil with rage. Gah.

Also, once again, James does a great disservice to the BDSM community by focusing so much on the fact it's Christian's issues that make him enjoy BDSM. Please stop tarring the BDSM community with the 'issues' brush.

It wasn't all bad, though. I still enjoy the email exchanges, especially the way the subjects change and the subtle little changes to their signatures. To be honest, the times they were communicating by email were the times when their relationship seemed to be most genuine. (Even if Ana seemed to do minimal work and spent most of her time emailing Christian on her work(!) email.)

Also, like the first book, I had a hard time stopping reading even though it was so frustrating. A bit like a train wreck, I couldn't look away.

I'm going to read the third book eventually, but I think I need a bit of a break before I do.